Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kebabs

May has been such a great month.  I am actually sad to see it go.

My youngest daughter Amber turned 9.  We had a fabulous date just the two of us.  All you can eat crab legs.

Next, I had a wonderful girl’s weekend to Lake Kawaguchi near Mt. Fuji, with my Japanese culture club.  AMAZING!


Then, there was the solar eclipse.  I had to sear my corneas a bit, but I actually got some pretty good pictures. 

This past weekend, I went with Abbey and Allie to Tokyo Disneyland.  Twelve million people live in Tokyo and eleven million were at Disney.  Can’t say it was a blast, but I enjoyed the time I got to spend with my girlies.

The very best thing that happened in May though…..I got a new grill for Mother’s Day!  I love it!  I am the Grill Master!  It is nice and big and it even has a bun warmer and one of those little side burners on it.  Jealous much?

I am looking forward to a summer full of grilltastik yumminess.  This is what I made last night.
Teriyaki Chicken Kebabs

For the Teriyaki sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh ginger (I use the ginger in the jar)
4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
For the kebabs:
2 to 3 pounds chicken breasts, tenders, or thighs
Onions, green, and red peppers (or whatever you like to put on kebabs)
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
Directions:
First make the teriyaki sauce. Put the first 7 ingredients into a small saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
Next, cut the meat into kebab size pieces and marinate (covered) for 3 hours in the teriyaki sauce.
After the chicken is marinated, put 6 or 7 pieces of chicken on each skewer, separating each chunk with a piece of onion, pepper, pineapple, etc.
Arrange the skewers on a plate.  Pour half of the remaining Teriyaki sauce over the chicken and grind black pepper over the kebabs. Drizzle with olive oil.
Put the kebabs on a grill with a low flame. (Oil the grate so the chicken won’t stick.) Grill for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until chicken is completely done and browned slightly.  Serve these tender yummy kebabs with rice.

Makes 6 to 8 large kebabs.  Recipe adapted from www.woodfiredkitchen.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment